Monday, February 22, 2010

Google Analytics is giving me gray hair

During the past few weeks, we have been peeling back the many layers of analytical data available via Google Analytics. The layers are complex, but if you thrive on establishing these layers and defining how/what the various components will achieve, Web analytics is for you.

I’ve decided it certainly isn’t for me. I liken Google Web Analytics to the crazy directions you get when you buy something and you have no idea how to put it together. You know what I’m talking about, the product that has about a hundred parts and thousand bits, screws, and bolts needed to actually get it together. The Google directions for adding filters, custom filters, event tracking, etc. is just as complex (I’m pretty sure you need a PHD in it). So, leave those directions for the developers and engineers who understand what they’ve written, because you certainly haven’t written it for an ordinary girl like me. Note to Google and others: if you want someone who isn’t a developer to actually understand what you’re touting and spouting, get a girl like me to write them for you.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that if we want to provide our customers with extraordinary service (we know they expect it), and we want our business to be successful, analytical data is critical. But, you have to have someone on your team who can a: build the data site for you (or maybe have directions that Joe off the street can decipher) and b: help you sort through this data.

Okay, so enough about my struggles with getting my arms around the analytics mess. This week, we got deep into the layers of metrics and studied how e-commerce, customer filters, event tracking and other characteristics can provide much-needed information for businesses.

Event tracking was added to Google in June 2009 (Google, 2009). The addition of this tool is important because it helps provide data on actions that aren’t considered page views. For example, event tracking can include the downloading of a video or an Adobe file, or the interaction with a Flash presentation. As more and more companies use these types of files/programs on their sites, including YouTube, having this information is important in developing marketing strategies.

After reading the instructions on how to set up event tracking, I was once again left a little miffed. The instructions note that you should insert the appropriate tracking code, but I can’t figure out where you find that and how you know if you have the correct code in place. So, after fiddling with it and searching for articles that might help me “dumb it down” I was once again left frustrated, so I moved on to adding filters.

I decided I would go in and establish a filter to exclude visits from my own computer because I don’t want that information to be included on my analytical report. So, I followed the initial instructions which eventually got me to the filter location. However, once there, the “Greek” language once again reared its ugly head and I was lost. When it started referring to “ISP” and “IP” addresses, I was gone. I know techies will find it hard to believe, but those who don’t know the ins and outs of computers have no idea what these are. But, I trudged on, searching for it via Google Analytics and guess what? It defined it, but didn’t tell me where I might find one. So, I did a complete Google search and from an organization called tracemyip.org I finally found it, well, the site automatically gives it to me. I’m still not sure how you find it on your computer, but I finally got the filter set up. Now hopefully my blog will not count visits from my computer, which will help give me a better idea of how many “real” visits are occurring on my site.

I also added a couple of custom filters to the site. This process I found somewhat easier, although there are filters listed that I’m not sure how they are used/why. I chose to include the visitor city and whether or not the visitor is a new or returning customer. As I went back to my report, it appears that the custom filters available are already on my report, including the ones I thought I just set up. I don’t know if Analytics holds a spot for the filters on the report, and only includes the actual data after you have set up the filters.

I wanted to add a custom filter and keyword ranking system to my analytical tool. I spent much of Sunday afternoon trying to figure those out. After some help from the professor, I was able to get my hands on an article from Internet Marketing Insights, which walked me through the process. I was very excited to actually be getting somewhere with these analytical tools and then, “bam,” I hit another wall. After following the directions, I was able to set up a new Web site profile and go in and edit according to the directions. It’s when I get to the “add the three keyword filters” that I begin to have another meltdown. I did that, however, no report is showing up on my site. And, how is it tracking keywords used by others to get to my site when it never asks me which words I want to track?

As part of the learning process during the past two weeks, we have been using Conversion University. These videos are a little more helpful than just reading the articles/information, but they are obviously developed for those who work in the Web/data analytics field (lots of jargon). And, I also found it funny that nearly all of the people participating in these videos – either those teaching or those sitting in the class – are all men. Maybe this is the problem? Sorry guys, just kidding, sort of…

As noted earlier, I really do understand why this is important. And, I believe the information can provide intriguing data that will help us build better Web sites, add programs/services that will give them what they want, and help our bottom line. But, trying to teach a simple public relations practitioner all of this jargon, technical directions, etc., is like telling a cat it has to love to be in the water. More than likely that’s not going to happen. So, my advice to those like me is to work with your Web experts to help you identify the data you want to collect, ask them for their suggestions, and then work together to gather/review the data. A team approach with the right players is your best bet.

References:

Google (2009, June 4). Google Analytics. Google.com. Retrieved February 20, 2010, from http://analytics.blogspot.com/2009/06/event-tracking-now-available-in-all.html

Radhakrishnan (2009, November 22). Search Engine Ranking - Track keyword rankings in Google using Google Analytics. Internet Marketing Insights. Retrieved February 22, 2010, from http://seo-insights.blogspot.com/2009/11/track-keyword-rankings-in-google-using.html

No comments:

Post a Comment