Monday, January 18, 2010

Driving down the winding roads of the digital highway

Greetings social media gurus, guests and wannabes (that would be me).  Well, here I am. Two classes down, three to go in the digital marketing communications program at West Virginia University. The fifteen-hour program is aimed at helping students navigate the "new" world of social and digital media in our ever-changing world. The courses are all taught online via a virtual classroom. It has been interesting, yet very challenging during the past six months to get a grasp on the many aspects of our digital world and how that relates to our day-to-day business.

During the past six months we've covered the basics of social media, as well as the latest marketing tips and strategies for social media marketing campaigns (I wonder if Hasbro was listening?). Social media is certainly an interesting topic. It has become a staple in our society, opening the windows of the world to people from all walks of life.


Now, we're hitting the "Ess" curve of Web analytics and metrics. Can't say that I am looking forward to it. I already have to get a dictionary out to decipher the information and filter through the various articles and information. I guess I'll just have to put on the driving gloves and try to maneuver the tricky curves, although I'm convinced I might need a more experienced driver to help me.

So, a little about me and my background...

When I'm not logged on having discussions with my classmates, I work in alumni relations where I oversee communications for our largest constituency. In this role, I help develop key messaging, write/edit content for the Web and other communications (press releases, e-newsletters, feature stories, video, etc.), monitor social media sites (Facebook, LinkedIn), assist with event planning, collaborate with other units within the university, and serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization. We are a very small group compared to other institutions, so you learn to wear many hats and juggle many things.

Before joining the university, I previously worked in corporate communications for a large energy company where much of my focus was on internal and crisis communications. Corporate America certainly has its benefits, most notably resources, so I was able to serve in a number of roles that provided me with great knowledge and experience, but I must say working for a non-proft has its advantages, and I certinaly don't miss those "middle of the night" calls or the lack of vacation (or the ability to take it). :)

Hope you will continue the journey with me down the winding roads of the digital highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment