Monday, October 12, 2009

Sell me a smartphone


It's hard to believe that a little smartphone can carry so much power. As I'm writing this blog, I bet I have seen four or five commercials touting the latest applications for the iPhone or the new Windows phone.

In this new age of digital technology, not only can I call my friends and check my e-mail, I also can get information on a song I hear on the radio (via Shazam) or get directions to the subway (NearestTube). It is truly fascinating that such a small piece of equipment can offer so many possibilities. As someone noted in our class discussions this week, it's really a mini computer that you can use to make calls.

According to a study by In-Stat (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10203051-94.html), the number of smartphone application users will quadruple by 2013 to more than 100 million users. For developers, this is great news, especially if you have the magic app. And, if you can sell it to Apple, that is even better news since Apple has hold of 33 percent of the overall Internet traffic (the next closest is Nokia with 7.1 percent). In the US, that number is even greater with Apple maintaining nearly 50 percent of the market.

The technology and applications will change like the seasons. Being innovative and creative in developing applications that help to simplify our lives, provide opportunities to have fun and enable us to do our work better will help mobile businesses be more successful.

As I say this, I can honestly tell you that I have had little time or much desire to look into the possibilities and opportunities available to me via my Blackberry. Maybe when that magic application comes my way, you will find me taking advantage of this new smartphone technology.

Kawamoto, D. (2009, March 24 ). Report: Mobile-app store users to quadruple in 2013.
Cnet. Retrieved October 12, 2009, from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10203051-94.html

No comments:

Post a Comment